Miyazaki's films often incorporate recurrent themes, such as humanity's relationship to nature and technology, and the difficulty of maintaining a pacifist ethic. Reflecting Miyazaki's feminism, the protagonists of his films are often strong, independent girls or young women; the villains, when present, are often morally ambiguous characters with redeeming qualities.
There are millions of adults that watch your films and who get a lot of enjoyment out of your work.
That gives me a lot of pleasure, of course. Simply put, I think that a film which is made specifically for children and made with a lot of devotion, can also please adults. The opposite is not always true. The single difference between films for children and films for adults is that in films for children, there is always the option to start again, to create a new beginning. In films for adults, there are no ways to change things. What happened, happened.
Do you feel that telling stories in the particular way you do is necessary for us as humans?
I'm not a storyteller, I'm a man who draws pictures (laughs). However, I do believe in the power of story. I believe that stories have an important role to play in the formation of human beings, that they can stimulate, amaze and inspire their listeners.
What will be your next project? Are you working on anything at the moment?
We recently opened the Studio Ghibli museum. Maybe museum is a big word, because it's more like a small shack where we exhibit some of the work of the studio. Inside we have a small theatre where we will show short films that have been made exclusively for the Ghibli museum. I am responsible for this, so I'm currently working on a short film for it.
Source:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/
http://www.answers.com/topic/hayao-miyazaki
http://www.midnighteye.com/interviews/hayao_miyazaki.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styles_and_themes_of_Hayao_Miyazaki
http://ajani.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/portrait_of_hayao_miyazaki-1024x819.jpg

No comments:
Post a Comment